Embracing sustainability to improve our ability to cope with our accelerating Climate Crisis does not mean we have to return to living in caves.
Improving the sustainability of businesses in your community can be very a profitable undertaking for the businesses involved, and for your region.
Research undertaken in the Blue Mountains, as part of the University of New South Wales contribution to The Cooperative Research Centre for Low Carbon Living (CRCLCL)*, came up with these startling findings:
- Given a choice, 82% of visitors and 91% of residents will choose a local business that is trying to reduce its carbon footprint, over a business that is not.
If a business is NOT trying to reduce its carbon footprint it will be losing money to competitors who are.
- More than 50% of surveyed visitors to the Blue Mountains said they would be more inclined to choose a tourism destination known for reducing its carbon impact.
If your Economic Development Strategy includes tourism, letting the world know your community is actively reducing its carbon footprint can increase visitor numbers.
* The Cooperative Research Centre for Low Carbon Living (CRCLCL) is a national research and innovation hub aiming to drive Australia’s built environment sector towards a globally competitive low carbon future.
Designing a visible accreditation system, with accreditation logos for use on premises, company websites and/or a local business directory is the first step.
Suggested actions for entry level accreditation include businesses committing to:
- Using mixed recycling bin and sort waste at source
- Reducing energy costs by installing LED lights
- Reducing water use by installing dual flush toilets
- Providing energy, waste and water bills to create a baseline for future reference
- Participating in a (free?) waste reduction training program
In addition to helping grow your regional economy by helping business to embrace sustainability, we can also help improve your regional sustainability across the following sectors:
- Reducing trade waste
- Reducing food waste
- Developing a Circular Economy.
To take the first step towards improving the sustainability of the businesses and your community, call me now for a confidential and obligation-free conversation on +64-27-272-2168 or get in touch via our Contact Page.